Today I decided to go back and finish the boar.
I only needed an hour or so more to finish.
It is Mothers Day today and Daya came in my room and said she wanted to talk but it wouldn't take long.
And she told me she wanted to say she loves and appreciates me as a mom and she said thank you for everything. And that even though she's not demonstrative she wanted to tell me. And she gave me a hug!
It was so wonderful to hear her say that.
Really, that was so perfect and completely made my day.
********
My friend Palma and I were texting early this morning and I told her about finishing the boar and she looked him up.
The Bowery Boys have a page on him, and Sutton Place.
8x10 oil, yes the sky is different today than it was yesterday but I stayed with the original light.
Very Colonial building at Sutton Place.
Start time 12:07, finished at 1:23.
My estimate of needing about an hour or so was correct.....
And also another painter came over to talk to me for several minutes.
She wanted to see my Times Square paintings.
She does watercolor, and her paintings are beautiful.
People ask me sometimes why do I time my paintings.
I time-track all of my paintings, even studio ones.
Back at Pratt we were taught to do that in Illustration.
It was useful for many reasons, including billable hours, but also because you should know about how long it will take you to do something. It's also useful for planning your time.
Figure drawing also makes you conscious of time.
(I miss figure drawing, I need to find a good local group. Drawing America is still the best but it's now $30/session and I'm priced out.)
Anyhow, I time my paintings and I know I can generally do an 8x10 in 3 or 3 1/2 hours. sometimes less depending. More if it is complex like Juilliard or Times Square. I do not try and constrain the time, I am just aware of it and it's pretty spot-on consistent.
Although the Porcellino Statue painting did take me a little longer than I initially thought.

Reading this about Daya makes me most happy for you.
ReplyDeleteI love the boar painting.