topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, March 17, 2023

Parent Observation Paintings, Again

Tonight I painted during the partnering class then the pointe class at Manhattan Youth Ballet.

I decided to go simple, beause I had absolutely no time.  Each class is only 1 hour and I had to switch studios.

Because of that I decided to try a different approach... I'm not sure if it worked or not but it was interesting.

Instead of gouache I used my small set (small meaning 24) of inktense blocks... you can use them kind of like watercolor pans.... combined with inktense pencils and white gouache. The reason I did this was so I didn't have to set anything up. There is just no time.

My biggest problem was time. And at the end I was really struggling with wet paint.
I might touch these paintings up if I decide to post them on social media, but I want to document the work on-location after 1 hour.

Mr George's partnering class, 5x7


The pointe class was even less than an hour, and with the studio switch I decided to drop color all together and use pencils plus one of my Derwent paint pan sets... this one. And then I added the blue because it needed it.

I wanted to zoom out a bit more and put more figures in.  I had to choose a warm-up pose early on because of time....

This isn't the greatest painting but who cares, it isn't always about the end result.
And I know how difficult this is to do, so with that considered it's pretty successful for what it is.

It does need studio touch-up for social media posting though.... if I choose to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!