I went to pick up my taxes today.
It's nice to be all done with that... I go to a family-run business and they have done my taxes for more than 20 years. The son has inherited the business from his father, but his dad still comes in and works. He did my taxes last year.
They lived right at the end of the block on the same street as me when I lived in my very first apartment.
Then I moved and traveled back.
Then they moved to the next neighborhood over from me.....
And their suite number is the same as my apartment number.
Life is fun like that sometimes.
Anyhow, their building isn't ancient but it isn't new, either.
They have one of those old elevators where you have to go up to 1.
Any guesses why?
It's so there is no 13th floor.
I don't think this is a thing in new construction these days, but tall buildings used to not have a 13th floor. If I recall correctly, the Willoughby dorm at Pratt does not have a 13th floor. Or, it didn't when I was there.
It skipped from 12 to 14.
That was very common.
Now, I don't even know if Daya's generation even knows 13 used to be considered such a bad luck number that there were not even 13th floors in buildings!
Speaking of old school elevators, the elevator at Pratt (in the main building) was from the 1800s and required an operator. It was so cool.
They have since replaced it with a more modern, much uglier metal box and I think they shouldn't have been allowed to do that for historical reasons.
I'm really happy I got to experience it.
They sure don't build them like they used to. Our taxes are done too.
ReplyDelete