topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Things that Come Out at NY@Nite

Tonight was the last NY@Nite class.  I don't really have a list of learned-stuff this week, it was practice and putting everything together.

Actually it was stupid-hard and I had help again and it was.... just so hard.
I kept getting lost, couldn't resolve what I was looking at, my head got screwed up.  there was another girl there who put into words perfectly what it was like.... basically I had no idea what I was looking at or how to see it, I couldn't see it, and it was hard.

This is my start, Garin did the foreground.


Garin did a painting too, he was standing in the dark without a light between 2 food trucks painting something dark in food truck fumes and it looked fantastic.   I can't even.  I literally have no words.


Garin came over and looked at my painting.
He pointed to the foreground and said "Hey that's great!"
I said, "YOU painted that!" because he did!!
And I could not stop laughing.


*****
I got to a point of being so screwed up in my head from this painting that I was wondering why I was there, what I was doing, and the meaning of life in general.






*************
We were at Columbus Circle right at the corner of Central Park.
After about 9pm some of the more interesting population comes out.  Here are some bits of humanity we encountered:

A friend's honesty, overheard:
"Frankie you have no game! What the fuck you talkin' about, your shit is garbage!"

(Poor Frankie.)

Bathing Rituals:
There was a water fountain near where I was set up. A drinking water fountain.
Some guy came over and bathed in it.  i'm not kidding.  Face, head, and I think maybe his arms.
For like 5 minutes.

The Glowstick Harness Husky:
A guy was walking his wonderful beautiful Husky.  The harness looked like a big glow stick, it was so freaking cool.

The Governor:
A guy was walking around talking to everyone.  He was friendly enough, said he was the Governor of the area.  He complimented our paintings, and tried to get my co-painter to give him her painting.
He then proceeded to "fire" all of us in individual conversations.  (Garin Baker also got fired.)

**********
The pole and ball head assembly slipped out of my tripod base while I was packing up.
This is not a big deal as tripods are meant to come apart, but I could not get it back in.
Could. Not.  
This tripod cost over $200 (years ago) so it is not a cheap one and it made no sense.
It is an excellent tripod so this was frustrating and baffling.

Garin came over and offered to help which was super-nice of him.
He couldn't get it either.  And he really tried.
Between both of us we must have spent about 15 minutes trying to get the pole back into the base.

We gave up, I packed the parts separately and went home.

When I got home 2 plastic pieces came right out of the base..... they snap around the pole and the whole thing goes right back in.  It took less than 30 seconds.  :/





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfectly frustrating evening. Maybe that is for the good. You won't be tempeted to go back out there at night. It is an interesting exercise. Stretched your brain didn't it.?? Maybe you can do some more on your own and won't feel so terrified at the prospect. Glad you got your tripod back together. Probably couldn't see those parts in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA Lisa I'm DEFINITELY going back out there at night!! :D
      Not late though, it will work well when everything is dark before 5pm.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!