topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, September 19, 2019

More NY@Nite

This painting is absolutely without a doubt the most difficult painting I have ever done.
My head definitely exploded which is a good thing.
11x14 oil 53rd (or 54th??) and Broadway. 2 1/2 hours-ish. I stopped before I ruined it. I am having trouble knowing what to do next, how to take it further.




*******
NOTES
REALLY Dark wash over panel, pull out lights let it sit for a few mins.
Garin DOES NOT thin his paint with solvent!!!!!! Solvent for cleaning brushes only. The paint handles completely differently- much better!! It still layers wet over wet. This is revolutionary for me.

Palette organization- keep darks with darks and lights with lights (where my white and yellows are)
Think about temperature. He was going to say something to me about this but we got sidetracked.
Will ask next week about temp.
My big oily rag is “unruly”!!! Garin tore my rag into smaller pieces. I think he might have walked away with one.

Garin says "Make a mess!" I sure did.
SQUINT. No detail at beginning. Masses. I thought I wasn't being detailed but he thought I was with the tree.

And then he made a total insane mess on my panel and the damn thing came together and totally worked.

He says no one really understands how much he blurs and simplifies. This scene was so crazy that was incredibly hard to do.
Perspective.

Garin seems to have 2 ways he starts paintings- that dark drippy wash where he pulls lights out and pushes darks back and also just scrubbing in masses without that wash.

I kept my colors dark and gray. The lights were easy to put over especially with the paint consistency.

He said I have a knack for doing this, that was really nice to hear from someone like him.
He liked my painting.

******
One of the reasons this is so, so difficult to do is the total crazy chaos of everything.  It's just complete visual insanity.  It's so hard to analyze the scene and build it... without linear drawing!!

Everyone in the class thought it was incredibly difficult but we all had fun.
We all struggled and went crazy, and then Garin would come over and fix it like it was the easiest thing in the world.

I had a lot of help with my composition- seeing it and laying it out.  I was struggling so much and he came over and mapped it out in about 1 minute.

My head was spinning BUT with that much-needed guidance I *think* I might be able to start practicing on my own. I'm going to do one on my own before next Thursday.

He simplifies.  It's all mental.  This is the practice I need.

This workshop is amazing, it will absolutely change the way I paint.

Also I will probably end up in his drawing class on Thursdays.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to have a break through. I hope you continue to grow with your night classes. I really like this painting. I almost can't tell where the painting ends and the reality begins.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!