Last night's workshop was excellent. I'm looking forward to next week.
We met right around the corner from Art Students' League, across from Carnegie Hall looking at Times Square.Here's my bullet list of things I learned, things I knew but forgot that got re-activated, and general bits:Push/pull values-- we heard this a lot at Pratt and I kind of forgot the phrase until last night.
- Indicate- I need to work on this.
- Mass in large shapes, dark thin values, look for the overall scene
- Garin laid in a wet drippy dark tone over a white panel, it wasn't pre-toned but only because he had just bought it to show the class.
- Perspective (I always think about this already)
- FOAM CORE MOUNT/HACK for larger panels held on box (!!!! this really solves a problem I have been trying to figure out about panel size limitations!!!) I will have to get a separate wet panel carrier now but I see 16x20s in my future..........
- Everyone liked my pochade light.
- Optical effects, darker values then the light. (Street lamp glow in Garin's painting)
Mostly I felt really uncoordinated and in new unfamiliar space. This is a good thing. I need to break my approach and get exposure to new things, and this is always awkward at first but that's good.
Plein air at night is REALLY different than during the day. The colors are different. I need more paint, I'm running low on some key colors.
Changes in the sky before dark:
Garin's setup. He's using an OpenBoxM.
(He likes my box.)
8x10 oil, this was too small a size. I'm bringing my larger box next week.
*********************
Daya had a great first day. She loves her classes and her teachers.
The only thing she doesn't like is her bottom locker, so she's going to request a top locker on the basis that..... getting to the bottom one "hurts her back".....
I told her go for it, ask for what you want but since you are a dance major be prepared for them to laugh at you.....
This sounds like an interesting class. I too like how the light is more concentrated in Garin's painting. I brings your eye to the main subject. Night seems difficult. I would find it difficult to choose a subject. I will look forward to seeing how this develops for you. Those tall buildings make it seem dark way before it is dark. This is scary to me. I think this is why I don't like being in large cities. I think you are brave to live there.
ReplyDeleteHa...Daya is showing her age. She really needs a different reason for a switch. Like she needs to stretch out not squat down because she gets all cramped up. tee hee...