topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, December 20, 2025

Winter Colors in Brooklyn

The weather today was chilly and clear so I went out to paint at Brooklyn Botanic.

I found a spot and set up, and right as I was starting a guy with a big telephoto lens camera came over to my spot. He started taking pictures standing right in front of me, right in my painting view. 

It's a public space so I couldn't tell him to go away. 
But I thought he'd have some situational awareness and hurry up.

He did not.

I got REALLY annoyed.

And after 6 minutes I asked him to finish up and move on.
Told him he was standing in my composition.
He has the whole garden, I do not.
He can move around, I cannot.
I do not have all day to stand around, I'm losing light.

Thankfully, he was nice about it, said he understands, and he moved on.
I think it just...... didn't occur to him.

Anyhow here is the painting, all those branches against the sky are a bit tough.
I'm doing some experimenting with layering the paint. Lots to think about.
This is a paint-handling challenge.
I intentionally left out the buildings in the background.

8x10 oil



I am hoping this isn't my last plein air of 2025... I'm hoping to get out one or 2 more times before the new year.

11 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!