topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, June 08, 2019

Canoes Near Bow Bridge

I wanted to paint larger, so I brought out my 11x14 box.
It is the loveliest box/tripod in the whole world to work on but oh it is such a schlep.
Heavy. And I walked around too much being indecisive.

In the end I settled down right by Bow Bridge and painted the canoes on the water.
This painting took three hours, and I was very non-deliberate about the back foliage.  It is suggested instead of meticulously rendered. That saves a ton of time!!!

I used my atrament black (which is a very dark black-green) but because of it I did struggle with the color in this painting. But I experimented a little and learned a lot.

Overall I am happy with the results but I have a lot of thinking to do about approaches.
It really is nice to work larger.

11x14 oil




********
A lot of people took my picture. Some people took a lot of pictures.
I used to REALLY not like that and I still don't but now I just accept it. It's the location.  There are things I have to put up with if I want to paint in certain places. There is nothing I can do about it.
People think I am cool, which is cool I guess.

Not only does it really suck when people are looking at you and your painting is in the Ugly Phase, but they take a picture of it, too!

One girl took my picture then came up to me to tell me. (Many people ask first which I appreciate.)
She offered to send it to me. I was really caught off-guard by it, my mind was just so engaged in the painting I couldn't process what she was saying.  I know that sounds stupid but I get so focused and tune everything out.  Anyhow, I declined because 1) it caught me off-guard and i didn't know how to react and 2) I didn't want to give out my phone number even though I know she had good intentions... idk, it was what went through my head.  I think she was a little upset, she sounded a little upset.  I felt bad about that, it really wasn't a rejection.  Maybe I should have said yes.

1 comment:

  1. I like this painting. The trees look good. It appears that you had a good setting. I like to see people in boats of any sort. They always look like they are having fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!