On Saturday evening Rob was going to pick me up after class (he is taking some college math) and we were going to go out.
He called me and said he was over in Long Island City and his car wouldn't start; the battery died and he wasn't sure why since he didn't leave anything on in the car. He tried to fix it but couldn't, so he said he was going to take the bus to go get a new battery and take a cab back to his car. I said I'm coming over.
I took the train to Long Island City...it's not a great area at night. Dark, desolate and very industrial. There is a prison there too.
Because I have walked the 59th St bridge from Manhattan many times, I know the area enough to know where I am and not get lost. And I knew Rob would need help, even though he didn't realize it.
He told me where he was parked and I got there shortly after he did...I found him putting a new battery in his car in the dark. Poor Rob was so mad and frustrated- after 7 hours in math class he had to deal with this...and his battery was only three years old. He was also mad because even though he always has his tool bag in the car he left his work gloves at his job. So one of the first things he said to me was "I wish I had gloves; I'm getting battery junk all over my hands!"
I said "I have gloves!" and I did! I got my first aid certification last month and I had a pair of gloves in my purse from that. A good thing to carry around. So I gave the gloves to a very shocked Rob.
Then I said, "Do you need some light?"
He said "Yes!" I used my phone flashlight. He has one too but he had forgotten all about it.
He got the battery changed and the car started, but he couldn't find the code he had to enter into the dashboard. I found that for him, too.
I knew he needed help!
Team work! Makes life easier. Emergency gloves...what a hoot.
ReplyDeleteAwe Jess, that was so sweet that you went to help him xox
ReplyDelete