topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, October 27, 2017

The Squirrel of Judgement

I went painting in Central Park again.

Although I felt half-hearted about going out, I was committed to it so I went.
Destination: Turtle Pond but I never got there because I saw a tree I liked right near the Shakespeare Garden and it was away from people in general so that was a big plus.

The tree was not as great from my painting angle but I said OK I'll make it work.

There was a lot of foliage against foliage to resolve and in that sense it was a good workout.

Here's what I learned:
1. I prefer to have more sky in my view.
2. Just because a tree looks cool doesn't mean it is in a good spot for painting. It was just too dark.

The cool view (from the road):


But I persevered and then....the Squirrel of Judgement showed up!  Seriously, he came over and just stared at me.







it was very disconcerting.

NO ONE can make a good painting with the Squirrel of Judgement staring at them.

Ugly Painting, 8x10 oil on panel



2 comments:

  1. Ha ha... that rascally squirrel ruined your time in the park. It was just wanting a peanut or two. It really wasn't passing judgment. I think you are too hard on yourself and your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this is an ugly painting Jess... we really are harder on ourselves than others are. My mom was an artist but she critiqued the way she drew hands, which on my best day would never have been 1 tenth as good as hers xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!