I'll be 40 in a couple of weeks.
Just about every single day I think about what to write about that, and I keep putting it off.
I don't want to turn 40.
While it is true that my life on Oct 30th won't be any different, this is a decade change and a mentally big one. Society says I'm not young anymore, I'm in mid-life.
The weird thing is that mentally I'm starting to feel older. But in a lot of ways, I've always been old mentally.
I look good for my age. Actually I look better than a lot of people just 5 years younger than me. I attribute this to diet and lifestyle and good skincare. Wearing daily sunblock starting as a teenager really does pay off. So does not smoking and not baking in the sun. So does a reasonably healthy diet.
I have never had a cavity or a weight problem. I weigh less right now than I did before I had Daya...not much, but I can fit the same clothing size I was in my 20s.
Nevertheless I think turning 40 for women in particular is a transition in how we are viewed by society. It's scary. It is a turning point.
I don't know if this is a universal thing, but I can't help but review my life.
I have a lot of failed relationships.
No family relationships.
I own no property or anything of any real value.
I was doing ok financially in my 20s but being left with a child and no help has really killed me financially. That's the truth of it. I'm very responsible and I have a good job, but I'm just working to pay the bills which get higher and higher no matter how good I am at keeping up.
During my entire 30s decade I had very little freedom. No financial freedom, no physical/logistical freedom, no freedom of time, and taking care of everything alone left me with little mental or emotional freedom. I lost a lot of opportunities. So many Life Doors closed. I wasn't able to do a lot of the "normal" things and re-establish myself properly. Only now am I beginning to get some of that freedom back, very gradually...at least enough to have a boyfriend which I am very grateful for. Rob is the best thing that has happened to me in all this time. And now I am staring down Daya's Teenage Years which is no joke.
Through my 30s I have had the same job and have lived in the same apartment.
I'm better at painting than I was 10 years ago.
My home organization is much better than 10 years ago... I do feel that is a Life Challenge I successfully overcame during my 30s. It was a carry-over from my mother and how I was raised, something I had to learn and change, and I have done it. So I'm proud of that.
I know some women have said their 40s were better than any previous decade...I hope that holds true for me too. All the same I am dreading it. Maybe it is a dread-thing before and up until the day, and after everything just normalizes.
Ahhh yes, 40's were good years for me. Look forward, be happy.
ReplyDeleteI like to look forward to something new on my birthday. I usually start a new plant in my garden. My birthday is in April. They do have tulips for sale now. Or you might start a new painting. Treat yourself to new art supplies. On my 40th I woke up yahoo and a friend had a party the same day. People were crying because he turned 30 and was over the hill while mine was a new beginning.
ReplyDelete