topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

USC and Juilliard Callbacks

Daya got USC and Juilliard callbacks for in-person auditions.
I am so, so glad she got Juilliard... I knew she would but still.
(Not all of her friends did.)

USC (University of Southern California, aka the University of Spoiled Children) has a really excellent dance program but I think I have mentioned before the school is not a good fit for Daya, yet somehow I am on the hook to go through the application process and all the nonsense it entails.

USC is a huge pain in my ass.

So anyhow we have to go to LA for the audition, which is held over 2 weekends ... NEXT MONTH.
They give a $500 stipend but charge $207/night to stay on-campus.

I think this is incredibly tacky.

And it's one of those things I'm just on the hook for and can't really say no because it's college stuff.
One of those context-specific situations where I can't be the one to eliminate Daya's options.
So of course I'm the one eating the shit sandwich again and I can't say no because then I'm the asshole.

It's one of those parenting things where people on the outside can just easily tell me Just Say No but parenting is not so simple like that. 
It's a weird context.  
I absolutely want to say no but I really can't.
Its easy for other people not living your life to tell you what to do like it's so simple and straightforward.
It isn't.
Because it's college applications and she already has such a short list of schools.
Move NYC really pushes this program.
I did speak with them about it already.
The decision was to move ahead with the application process.

****************

Daya decided to schedule her audition and interview on Jan 22.
Something about that felt weird to me but it's her thing so whatever.
The plan was to fly in Saturday, she has to be at registration at 7:30am.... audition all day, do her interview at 6:10pm...to be with her friend.....
....and she wants to fly back to NYC overnight Sunday night.

I am not thrilled about this but I can deal with it, especially if it saves me $200 and I really don't want to be in LA anyhow.

HOWEVER

My kid pulled a total bonehead move and booked her audition DURING A PERFORMANCE WEEKEND... that's the LaGuardia Winter Dance Showcase weekend. She's performing at 2pm on Saturday afternoon Jan 21.

Her friend didn't check the dates and Daya just followed what her friend did without checking either.

Boneheads, both of them.

Me: you can't audition that weekend.
She: It's fine we'll just fly out after the show.
Me: (!!!) Absolutely not. Fix it with USC.

Daya thinks she can perform a 2pm show (idk how long it lasts) and we can just.... fly to California like we were just taking a train to Brooklyn.

AND THEN audition all day the next day and then spend the second night in a row on an airplane flying back???

You have got to be kidding me.

Fuck USC.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!