topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Garbage Plein Air

I met up with Thor today and did 2 paintings in Thompkins Square Park.
My goal was to not get too insane over all the detail and chaos, and keep it pretty loose.

8x10 oil 2 hours


**********
When I had barely started this second painting, an old lady came over to say hi.
It was the best conversation ever, extremely NYC:

Lady: What viewpoint are you painting?
Me: I'm painting the garbage.
Lady: Oh, that's wonderful! 

6x8 oil, about an hour and a half.
It was pretty fun painting garbage.
I'll have to do it again.


*********
It was fun painting with Thor and real nice of him to let me tag along.
He knocked out three or 4 loose paintings in the time I took doing these two.

I was in two of them! I don't know if he'll finish them or not.
I got a picture of one of them.
(In the second he depicted me walking a cat which was pretty funny.)

Thor's palette:



Thor's painting of me:

Thor Wickstrom's painting 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the light on the first one.
    The trash bags look real.
    Thor is a go getter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...the browser ate my first comment.

    I was saying that the paintings are all lovely. I especially like the first one.
    Cool that you focused on the garbage...nice job on rendering the black bags.

    Funny, my sister and her hubby were walking their dog the other morning and they came across a couple walking their two cats. Not a sight you would expect to see around here. One cat was in a harness with leash and other didn't have a leash but walked obediently alongside its owner's legs. They had one of those pet carrier prams in case they needed to secure their cats safely. I wish I'd been there to see it. I can't imagine me ever being able to do that with Kya, my cat.

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Serena xx

    P.S. - I'm back blogging after a long absence so just dropped in to say HI.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!