topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, August 22, 2025

Hike & Hammock & Williamsburg Paint

I took all the summer Fridays off work...what a great idea that was,
Usually I do this from October on, but summer is much better to work 4 day weeks.

Today I took the train up to Tuxedo and walked to the hiking trails in Harriman State ark that are over there. I have wanted to explore this for a while and today was a good day to do it.

Of course I brought paint.....and my hammock!
I think the hammock is now officially part of my woods plein air setup!

I hiked and hung my hammock and had lunch....



Oh my god I love the hammock.....




The train schedule back to the city is the dumbest schedule in existence:




The next train back after the 4:07 is 10:40pm!!!

I could NOT miss the 4:07!
Seriously, what kind of dumb schedule is this?????

So around 1-something I thought I should probably do a painting as I headed back.

This little 6x8 was definitely stress-rushed.....





I brought my new Williamsburg Quinacridone Red (PV 19)...I'm not sure how I feel about it being the only red in a very limited palette. It's a great color but somehow lacks variation, or maybe I need to learn to use it better...? In part, it isn't as opaque as the cadmiums I am used to, and it is a bit cooler as well.


This comp would make a good painting.


I was stressing about getting back, but at least I knew the way out this time.
When I got back to the Tuxedo station I had about a 15 minute wait for the train, which is better than missing it.


I'll have to do this again.... the time constraint is very unfortunate but it's better than not being able to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!