topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, March 07, 2025

Vasari Paint

It is that time of year when I plan for upcoming expenses for Daya (tuition) and also when I can do something nice for myself.

I am in good balance and everything is taken care of that needs to be, so I decided why not get some Vasari paint? I have been on their website all week deciding what I am getting.

Lately I have been pulling out all my Very Nice Paint for studio work, and I think I might also start incorporating it into plein air.

I'm not a beginner anymore and would like to allow myself to bring the Fancy Paint outside.

I was in the office today, and so was Kedrin.
We are work neighbors and I asked her if she can leave early by chance and come to Vasari with me.
And she said yes!


Kedrin has never been to Vasari before, but I have spoken about it with her often.
She only uses Old Holland, which is excellent top-tier paint but the consistency is very different, it is much stiffer. I think they partially hydrogenate their oil, someone told me that years ago.

Vasari is insanely pigmented but has a very loose consistency, it is a very long paint. 
It is handmade.

Old Holland is insanely pigmented but is a shorter paint.

Kedrin got her first tube of Vasari, Titanium White.
A solid choice!

We played on the mixing table.



I knew I wanted that genuine Naples Yellow, a lead white, and the impressionist set... which I want to bring out for spring plein air.

This is the impressionist set... I actually have three of these tubes already... they are old and half-used up and will prob end up in my permanent plein air pack.

This set is also on sale right now.



And I decided to fill up another box and add to my turquoise problem.


The 2 phthalo tints in there are variations of a tint I have been using a lot in plein air lately, Gamblin's Radiant Green... they are convenience mixes and I know I will use them.

That naples yellow GLOWS and is amazing!

I also picked up a titanium white, a true ivory black (it's charred bone pigment) and a natural French grey earth which is gritty and makes gorgeous grey tints.

And that cobalt turquoise (PB28) is unlike any cobalt turquoise I have ever seen!

Vasari does not have my favorite pigment PG50  (no one's perfect) but this one is pretty gorgeous and is also very close to PG 50.

Everyone needs their thing I guess.... Vasari is my favorite paint and it's expensive but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!