topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, March 22, 2025

Two Paintings, a Nightmare, & More Vasari

Two Paintings
Kedrin and I had a chat the other day.
It went something like this:

Me: It occurred to me that you are actually a bigger paint snob than I am, because while I love my premium snob paints, you will ONLY use Old Holland, and I will use anything artist-grade.
She: That's true. I wish I was less of a paint snob.
Me: No way, I admire this about you!

She: I think I want to go back to Vasari and get a dioxazine violet.
Me: That's a great idea! Do you also have one in Old Holland?
She: Yes
Me:  Oh, you can compare them! Let me know if you go.

*********
We coordinated because Kedrin is in nursing school and wasnt sure when she would get out today.
I painted near Bellvue so we could meet up after.

I brought my Belly River box again and did 2 paintings, booth 6x8 oil:

Crocuses


Tree Trunk
(I ran out of time on Tree Trunk, the foreground needs some sharp detail, but it's ok)


We walked from 28th and 1st to 27th and 10th to Vasari.
On the way over, I told Kedrin my nightmare.

Nightmare
Last night I had a plein air nightmare!
I dreamed I took my new Vasari paints to a nice park with a lake.
Weirdly, all the nice spots were taken by other painters, many werent even at their easels... there was a class or something and it was annoying.
I set up next to some guy and then a raccoon came over and stole my bag of Vasaris! I went after him and he went INTO THE POND and so did I!
The bag was open and the paints came out and I got three of them.... tried to get the rest of the bag but the pond got steeply deep and i lost them! Oh it was a TERRIBLE dream!


More Vasari
Steve was there instead of Gail, and he's a lot friendlier.
Gail is a fantastic colorist but she's not so friendly.

I am an enabler, and Kedrin is easily influenced by nice paint.
She didn't do as much damage as I did the other week, but she did end up buying 9 tubes instead of 1.
And she's not even actively painting right now because of school!

Kedrin, Steve and I talked for quite a long time.
He's very friendly.
He laughed at my raccoon nightmare.


I bought one more tube, a brand new pink they have which they did not have 2 weeks ago.

Kedrin had a box with 2 empty slots in it and Steve said Do you want free samples?
We didnt realize he was offering her two FREE tubes of paint!

In all honestly that pissed me off because I have been their customer for 15 years, I have spent so much money there, honestly over the years probably over $1k, ($434 2 weeks ago!) and I have never been offered free paint. 
AND it is because of me that Kedrin was giving them business.

I said... wow, mentioned all these things, and Kedrin backed me up.

Steve made good on it though, and I got a replacement Nicosia green earth (my tube is a bum tube, all oil, and he believed me, laughed, and said "I probably made that one!" ... I was surprised he was so willing to just give me a new one.

I picked 2 series 1 tubes, Kings Blue extra pale which is basically a cool-tinted white, and French Anthracite which is coal... that's interesting.
I really didn't know the extent of what Steve was willing to give me, and he offered the Indian Yellow he was showing us earlier.
It is a $40 tube of paint and he gave me one.

So, he made good and my initial sour feeling is gone... but wow, I'm absolutely shocked he just gave out a bunch of free paint like that. He gave me about $70 worth of free paint. (I don't count the Nicosia because I have been meaning to bring that one back)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!