topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, November 05, 2022

Immersive Frida Left me Flat

Today I visited my friend Georgina and we went to the immersive Frida Kahlo exhibit in Brooklyn.
Beforehand I hung out with Georgina at her place.  She lives on the Lower East Side and can go on the roof of her building.

The views are pretty fantastic.








Putting this here so I don't forget because it is AMAZING and I need to find some... I'm sure I can get it in my neighborhood. 


Georgina has 2 cats and here is one of them.  The other is orange and they are brothers.


We went to the Frida exhibit in DUMBO.
I love Frida and was expecting good things.
Also, this exhibit was done by the Frida Kahlo estate so it leaves a big question..............







Ok what's missing?

THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE IMAGE OF ANY PAINTING IN THE WHOLE EXHIBIT.

I know Frida was very political, and I know her horrific injury overshadowed her life (and Diego) but..... you cannot separate Frida from her paintings.
You just can't.
Nothing about her makes sense without them.

I told Georgina the exhibit was like a soup with all your favorite things in it but no salt.
She agreed.

If the exhibit was a biographical exhibit about a non-painter it would have been perfect.

We took pictures....




Both of us in the mirror...



There was a retro-photo booth thing that Frida-ized your picture. Here is mine:


I just can't get over the complete absence of any paintings.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct. It isn't the full picture of Frida without paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!