topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Plein Air Commission Part 1

I got a commission t do a plein air painting from a custom location with a few specifications.
When I was on Roosevelt Island over the summer, a lady came up and asked for a card- and she actually followed up!

This is a surprise gift for her husband who has worked there for 15 years in the power plant area.
Under those 6 buoys in that water are turbines in the river which are producing renewable electricity.  It's the largest renewable energy project in North America apparently, and no one knows about it!

Link here for more info

Anyhow she wants a 9x12, the bridge and the buoys have to be in it. 
We are still working out how to get the shipping containers in since they are not in my view.

I am 4 hours into this painting and it is a difficult one, complex.
Especially because it is a commission, there's some pressure.
I really want my client to be happy.

So I had to pep-talk myself a lot.
Saying she asked me to do the painting because she already likes my work!
I really hope she likes it tho!
I am a bit nervous.

I painted for 4 hours today and I need another session, so I'll go back tomorrow and finish the foreground and the water.  It was hot and I was in direct sun the whole time.



I'm painting 9x12 on my 8x10 box which means I cannot transport wet paintings as I normally do.
But I found a cardboard painting case someone gave me years ago and it is 9x12 and is working out nicely.

I just don't feel like getting out my large setup.


This is how far I got.
I need a couple more hours.
I already see a bunch of stuff I'm going to fix tomorrow.  




1 comment:

  1. It's going to be great. And I can see it's a tough subject.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!