topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, December 06, 2019

It was kinda cold outside

.... but not too bad.

Really a very nice day to go out and paint- good overcast light, no wind.

A few people stopped by- one lady who lives in Toronto but is originally from Hungary stopped by, she is in NYC for the first time and we chatted for a bit.  I like to be really welcoming to visitors.

I was in a kind of hard-to-reach spot but it didn't stop a group of 5-7 tourists to settle down for longer than I was comfortable with.  I gave it a few mins but when they weren't moving I sent a well-placed stink-eye and they got the hint.  Really, it's nice that they are just so enthusiastic about what I'm doing and I appreciate that so much- but it was breaking my concentration.  Because of where I was they were physically too close.

But I really love that people love that I'm out there painting.

I had a great view overlooking Bow Bridge.

The water was hard because it was completely changing back and forth every few minutes... it went from dark with reflections to light with no reflections.  I left it for later in the painting but then had to choose a scheme and just go with what I could remember and design it.  I'm not thrilled with the water, it could be better as far as design but whatever.  (Clouds do this too, sometimes the light goes back and forth between two completely different settings and you just have to choose one and remember it.)

I'm continuing in the *awesome* change of not doing a solvent-thinned underpainting, courtesy Garin Baker.... I really scrubbed that first covering in with a cheap hog bristle brush- NOT my Rosemarys!! The nice thing about this is the paint sets up in about 10 mins and is easy to work over.

The paint feels just so very nice, perfect texture and body, it feels the way only oil paint can feel. It's addicting, the way oil paint feels on a brush. It's installation and sculpture.  I was happy this worked in cold weather; oil paint is much, much stiffer in cold weather and looser in the heat.

Stapleton Kearns says it reflects the weather and this translates to the painting; he's right.

This one took 2 1/2 hours, 8x10 oil.






1 comment:

  1. I can see how that water would give you fits. I like the setting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!