topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Tree This Year

Daya had a chiropractor appointment last night *** and then she wanted to look around at Capezio.
Then I wanted to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and it was SO CROWDED oh my gosh where did all these people come from and WHY were they here on a MONDAY?

The tree is lovely though.


***
Daya wants to go to the chiropractor.
Since I'm way past my insurance deductible and don't have to pay I said fine ok whatever but it's not a miracle cure.
She said my back still hurts.
I said I know, you have to do Pilates like your doctor and physical therapist said...and your home PT program.
She said I want to go to the chiropractor.

Chiropractors are fine I have nothing against them, they have helped me before but I don't think it is the solution she is looking for.  Her physical therapist said no-- it won't hurt but won't really do anything either- Daya has to do her home program.  I'm pretty sure she does some of it sometimes- but not all.  Actually from what I gather she mostly does the things she doesn't have to get out of bed for.

Last night was our second appointment with a different practitioner in the same office.
I liked the first person more.

The lady who saw Daya gave a whole- obviously rehearsed speech- which really came across to me more like a marketing pitch that everyone gets.  Daya is 14 years old and she went through the whole spiel about spinal degeneration in our 60s.  Showed models and everything- talked about all the awful things that happen if we don't get chiropractic adjustments.  I'm not buying it, because I have had chiropractic treatment before (several times actually) and NEVER heard a speech like that, ever.

Daya is 14 years old with a specific dance-related issue, we don't need to be talking about spinal micro-trauma over decades.

So then this lady went through her whole speech about ALL THE PROBLEMS and then of course said 2x a week for 5 weeks.

When I said no, I'll do through the end of the year, she argued with me.
Which I didn't like. It felt like a sales person not taking no for an answer.
Then of course my teenager who knows everything argued with me about it.

Daya has just been through 2 months of VERY EXCELLENT physical therapy for this (and her hips), the back issues were addressed and documented and xrayed, PT and MEDICAL DANCE DOCTOR said Pilates. So no, chiropractic treatment is NOT her primary plan of care for this situation.

And she didn't really even feel better after either appointment.  So I'll do a couple more until the end of the year but I'm not doing a 2x a week for 5 weeks thing.  Nope.

Sometimes it seems like no one gives a crap that I am 1) the parent and do actually know a few things and 2) the payer-of-the-bills.

So yes my perspective absolutely counts.  If my child needs care she will get it.  But not everything is necessary.  I'm not going to go around looking for different solutions to fix the issue because Daya hates Pilates.  I certainly don't need people arguing with me about it.

I think we have reached a point with this situation where it's up to Daya to help herself, and she does have a tendency to want to hold on to problems and get angry instead of embracing solutions.

She has been provided with tools and resources and care, but she has to do the work and there is no substitute for it.  That, combined with the past 2 months of medical care, is why I'm not sold on the chiropractor,  And after everything I have provided, and we are talking top-quality specialized care, I resent being argued with about it.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine was in NY not long ago. He said he got in a line to see the tree and then when it was going so slow he got out of the line after asking a police officer if he thought he would get to the tree so see it turned on. The PO said no way so he opted out for an Irish Pub. ha...
    That Daya...she will have to live and learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!