I need to sketch more, and paint more from life. While I am very portable in oil and pastel, the tiniest and most portable setup is a watercolor/gouache setup. A few years ago Sid sent me a cigar box that was adjusted into the same oils setup Abby Ryan uses. It is not a true pochade setup, it is more for tabletop painting or holding in your lap. The box is little, 5x7. But I thought- even though I'm not really into watercolors and gouache- they are great for sketchbook practice. So I stuck a few brushes in, plus some gouache and my travel watercolor set (which fits perfectly) and gave it a test run last night.
I'm happy with the results and it was fun to do. 45 mins.
God
Life messed with me so badly I actually cried a little this morning.
Ailey.
Competition.
I just got the schedule this morning after I got to work.
As it turns out, the Won't- Happen Act of God happened... and all 4 of Daya's competition dances are on Sat Feb 9.
Which means she has nothing going on Sun Feb 10.
Which is the day of the NYC Ailey audition.
All that Philly/sprained ankle stuff...............
I promised Daya that if the Act of God happened (which I assured her it would not), I would ask Ailey if she can re-audition.
I hope they say yes. I don't know if I should have just signed her up, or if emailing was the right thing to do since she is on their paperwork already for this year.
But I'm really glad I got to see Carey in Philly and go to prison together.
Which reminds me I should post my sketch of cell block 2.
UPDATE: Ms Victoria texted me saying since Daya is free on Feb 10 is it too late to register her for the audition.... so I didn't wait to hear from Ailey, I just did it. If Ms Victoria thinks it is fine, that's good enough for me.

It sounds like you need a good cry. I hope it all works out.
ReplyDeleteI love your sketch. I hope you do more of them.