topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Friday & Saturday

The huge sign on 1 Times Square (under the new years ball) is broken.  People were fixing it.



Friday evening Daya wanted to go to the Laguardia Winter Dance Showcase, so we went.  It was pretty fantastic.


There was a student art exhibit up.  I liked these Byzantine-style portraits.



******
On Saturday we heard from Ailey.  Daya didn't get in this year. Shit and crap.
So we have to figure out something else for the summer.

She's extremely upset.  I'm upset for her.  It is the kind of disappointment that hurts a lot.

It's frustrating because circumstances were just against her.  We know she can do the program; she did last year and did extremely well. It isn't like she's a worse dancer than she was last year or anything.  I really believe if we were able to to the NYC audition next month she would have gotten in again.  The waking up at 4am and the travel would likely have been ok, but the sprained ankle wasn't.  She hadn't danced at all for 2 1/2 weeks before the audition.  And it was still hurting her during the audition. There's only so much dancing you can do on a sprained ankle, unless you are Misty Copeland, I guess. That week after she still wasn't up to full speed in class. When she finally was, she said she felt the difference from not dancing.

So the audition was a bomb,  we couldn't have done anything differently, It hurts but we have to move on.  There are some other programs she is interested in.  As my yoga teacher says, "this or something better".  But it stings and it sucks.  Life just throws mudballs in your face sometimes and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Unfortunately this stuff is also just part of life.  I just really need summer plans for her and she has to be dancing.

We still have a long wait for high school results, and it's really messing up her head.  This waiting is hard and stupid.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this for Daya. Darn. A sprained ankle is awful! Can't imagine trying to dance on it. Very discouraging. Keep on...despite it all. Big hugs for Momma too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!