My 4 week class at Art Students League ended, it was a wonderful experience.
While I have of course been painting, and plein airing, and sometimes I go to figure drawing, I haven't done a longer, larger painting from the model since college.
I did a nude years ago with Nancy, we purchased a photo ref, but it's just not the same as working from the model. I love figure work, but if I can't work from life I won't do it.
There is a lot to be said about being in the environment with others, too. I LOVE seeing how everyone handles the same setup. Everyone's paintings were very different. We did critique a few times as well. That, and seeing how everyone else handles the setup are massive learning experiences in themselves. The instructor (Simon) came around and he had some really valuable suggestions for me.
This class is always running, and I'll go back, but I can't go in Feb due to schedule conflicts.
Painting progression:
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
This painting didn't photograph well. I think my skintones look much better than in the photograph.
There are a lot of subtle variations in the values, which I really worked mindfully to do, but they aren't showing up at all.
The painting is drying at ASL right now, maybe when I pick it up and it is dry I'll try re-photographing it under better lighting.
In any case, I really think of this as just practice.
And I need a LOT of practice!!
And our group photo.





I like your painting. I wouldn't know how to critique a painting unless something was really off. Your group looks enthusiastic.
ReplyDelete