It seems I have conquered the winter cold; it's not even a challenge anymore from the mid 20s up through all of the 30s.
And anything above freezing is downright balmy.
I would like to test this out in the teens.
My new wool underlayers make a massive difference.
I should have done this years ago but they were very expensive........ I still should have done it years ago.
Between my heavy wool base layer and my boot covers, which I throw heaters in, I'm not getting cold at all out there. I am covered in 100% wool up to my neck, and I have new thick wool fishing gloves too.
(no it doesn't itch, and for what I paid it had better not...)
I even stopped taking Toilet Rug out; I don't need it anymore (I don't think) and that's good because I like to keep my gear weight and bulk down.
Anyhow, I went to Roosevelt Island because I'm still avoiding the holiday crowds, and it is an easy trip for me... 20 mins. Here is a walkway in Four Freedoms State Park, which is on the south tip of the island.
8x10 oil
People would come by and take my picture without asking and then walk down the path allll the way down right in front of me, despite the fact there are THREE other empty paths right next to where I was standing.... and all of them led to the same place.
Anyhow.
I normally wouldn't have set up in such an obnoxious spot but it wasn't crowded at all and.... again, there are three other paths down so...... I wasn't really in anyone's way. Not today.
********
This is my 50th plein air painting for 2024.
That's a good number and I'm happy with it.
That is a lot of practice and problem solving, and it doesn't matter that not all my paintings are good.
I have tried a lot of new things this year, subject matter and technique.
*******
Here are some cool pictures from around Roosevelt Island.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!