topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, February 04, 2022

A Wonderful Cube

This post is all about art supplies, and if you love art supplies it should make you feel very happy.

I like the Chelsea Classical Studio lean medium so much I was intrigued by their other products, except they are expensive.

But they have a sample cube of little sizes of all their products and I got one.

I love it.
I love the packaging, I love the way everything smells, I love the little glass bottles.

To be honest, I'm not very worried about oil paint and toxicity.
I use Gamsol which is toxic but it is also the most refined mineral spirits on the market.  It is odorless and slow-evaporating and does not absorb through the skin.  I'm good with all of that, pls my window is always open.

I think there are way more toxic things people are exposed to that they don't think twice about- but somehow with oils everyone makes a big hairy deal about it which, I think is way overblown.

A little common sense and you're fine.

Gum Turpentine IS super very extremely toxic but is so rarely used these days. 
This is why oils have such a bad rep. Turpentine is not necessary.

Anyhow:







****************
I got some new oil at Blick the other day when I got the brushes.
Since I use a lot of different mediums, I go through oil very slowly, and I have a really old large glass bottle. But I am running low, so I got a new small bottle.



It doesn't smell right.

I LOVE- and I mean LOVE the smell of linseed oil.  That and lavender are my favorite smells ever.

But my new bottle doesn't have that nice smell.
It ... actually doesn't smell very nice to be honest. Not strong or terrible, but it doesn't have that nice distinctive fragrance I love so much.

My old bottle smells WONDERFUL.

I contacted Gamblin.

They responded in under 2 hours.
There has been no change to the manufacturing process and nothing else has changed either.  It's the same oil they use in their paints.

The only conclusion is that my new oil is.... new.

I already know that the linseed oil in paints is rancid.
But maybe my new bottle is so new it isn't rancid yet??
I hope it gets a nice smell soon.

*******
My adorable glass bottle of linseed oil in the cube from CCS DOES smell good, like linseed oil should!



1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, strange that the new bigger bottle of linseed oil doesn't smell quite right.
    I like those small sample botttles. I would probably save them when finished and use them as small vases for buds of flowers that I accidently break. Or as name card holders for a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!