topiary cats

topiary cats

Monday, July 08, 2019

Vegetable Week

Well it has been a week since I last posted.
Daya has been home all week, and she turned into a vegetable.

Full-on teenage brain-rot.

I’m afraid that with the combination of heat and really not being able to see, it has been contagious and I have been a semi-vegetable as well.

This past weekend Daya and I were both stuck in a mind-numbing pit of total laziness. Both of us were only semi-functional.
Work has been busy and I saved all my thinking functionality for that. We had to go to Target and it took us both 2 ½ days to muster the willpower to do it.






********
Today Daya started the first of three summer dance intensives… this first one is 4 weeks long, and it is free. Aside from being an excellent program run by the NYC DOE, it is free and that is my favorite thing about it. Have I mentioned it is free? Breakfast, lunch, classes, all transportation, free!!

Leotards and shoes are not free but she already has those. This morning was orientation and they told us the program is funded through the DOE and also privately. Apparently Tony Bennett is a large contributor and sometimes he comes to the end performances. ABT runs the dance portion. There are 360 kids total, divided into middle school and high school for each of the studios: visual arts, string and brass instrumental, vocal, theater, film, and of course dance. They said over 900 kids auditioned (for all studios).

Since Daya was in 8th grade as of June, she is in the middle school dance studio.
So hopefully she will remember how to use her brain again. She will be dancing from 9-3 every day.

But most importantly it is free AND I can turn off the AC.

********
I’m so over these glasses.

They are heavy and ugly and I really can’t see. My visual acuity in glasses is significantly worse than contacts, but that is normal.
The best vision I can get is with a hard contact lens.

So, glasses suck.

I’m ok getting around in places I know.
I can work ok but with occasional slight difficulty.
The thing I have a lot of trouble with, aside from seeing any small details, is focusing on details in the larger environment.

Because of this I decided it is best for me to lay low and stick to places I know. Basically, I won’t go anywhere I don’t know by myself.
Picking out details is really a challenge and I’m relying half on vision and half on memory.

I was going to wear my right contact lens in the evening and patch my left eye, but that lasted 2 days. I can’t see well enough and it’s too boring because I can’t do anything. So I started just wearing the right contact along with my glasses when I’m at home.

I haven’t painted but I probably can.
Being a vegetable has been more of an impediment to that at this point. (I think.)
This Thursday I'll probably go paint with the journalists after work, just to set that time and space aside and make myself do something.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do get out this week, it will make you feel better. Try to have a little fun.
    It is a good thing that Daya is occupied for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!