Today I wanted to paint and go to the boathouse after... I haven't been to the boathouse even once... ALL MONTH! It's been because of travelling and weather.
And I didn't make it to the boathouse today, either, because this painting on Governor's Island took forever.
8x10 oil
This painting took way too long and I got lost and confused in it.
Start time 10:55am, end time 3:35pm. That's too long.
And I messed up the bottom at the end of the painting session.
People were being very annoying too, I had my airpods in which usually deters people but somehow everyone kept asking me for directions. Like they came right over, got ignored, and then just stood and waited until I stopped painting, paused my audio book, took out my airpods, and said something to them. And they KNEW they were disturbing me. They just didn't care. This happened 4-5 times. Not only that, but there was a parks volunteer answering questions nearby! And they still had to bug me!
And then there was the couple that parked themselves right behind me TWICE.
I was not standing in a "nice" area, so it was definitely deliberate.
Not only that, but there were other nearby much nicer places they could have gone.
I don't like the feeling of people camped out behind me watching me.
It's eerie and distracting and I can feel it.
My looks at them didn't work.
Would you like someone camped out behind you - watching you?
I hate it.
I always account for this when I set up, but wow they were persistent and I truly didn't expect anyone to sit where they were. It wasn't a nice place to sit at all. They were sitting in dirt.
I even moved my setup to take my panel out of their line of sight, but it put the panel in shadow and I had trouble seeing.
They eventually left and I moved back, right in front of them as they were leaving.
They saw.
And then a little while later they came back and did it again!
But this time I got smart and moved my whole entire setup back.
This is not about being self-conscious, I'm not.
It's about the energy, and when people are sitting watching I can really feel it.
It's extremely invasive and I can't get into my zone properly.
I do keep a physical gear- barrier around me so people don't come too close- because they will- and even then I have to tell people to stay back.
Well, I guess I wasn't in a people-y mood today.
If you see someone focused and working, just leave them alone!
Have a little respect!
*********
Three paintings I have done lately have been real struggles.
And they have taken a lot longer than they should.
I'm wondering why.
I don't know if it's because I'm growing and am feeling uncoordinated, or if- despite my motivation to paint which is currently excellent- my artistic engines need a short rest. I can't tell.
I always have a yearly goal of 50 plein air paintings for the year, and this is #43.
7 more to go, and I can do it, I can get to 50, but I have to prioritize it.
I lost a lot of time earlier this year because of the weather.
Now sunset is early.
The season is changing, I feel weird today in general.
It's also my long-disappeared sister's 50th birthday.
I don't know if she's even still alive or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!