topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Luchetti & Franca & David

back in August when I painted Little Island at Francis' event, he had a raffle.
There were 2 Luchetti sketchbooks in the raffle.
I did not win them, or anything.

But I had never heard of Luchetti before and I was very intrigued.
It's a new company, and they are primarily designed for watercolor people, which I am not.
But their hot press version is good for mixed media.

If primed with GAC 100, it's fine for oil.
And the paper is thick enough that it would work for egg tempera.

I needed a Luchetti sketchbook.
Then the Via, the small travel-size one went on pre-order, and I got that too.
They are gorgeous books and I will love working in them.

I do have plans for these books... there are studio studies I want to do, but informally.
It is my goal to use these 2 books during the dark cold season for practice.



***********
Today I had nice brunch plans with Franca.
Then I dragged her to Blick, because I needed the GAC 100.

After Blick we went to Rizzoli so Franca could get her mom some books in Italian.
Her mom likes romance books.

I found a book called Lezioni di Chimica- Lessons in Chemistry- that I thought Franca's mom needed but Franca vetoed it. 

She got this book about being abandoned instead!'
(The Days of Abandonment)





*********
After visiting with Franca I went to Brooklyn because my painter friend David Nakabayashi was having an open studio and sale prices to clear space.

It was good to see David, it's been a while.
His wife Jenni and the dog Cholla were there too.
We're still talking about painting Times Square again.  
Also, right now David has an artist residency on Governor's Island, so we talked about painting there too.  I always like painting with David.

I got to visit one of my favorite friends, Transmission Elk.


And I adopted 2 paintings for a steep friend discount.
David's paintings are amazing. Now I have three- he gave me one years ago from an event we painted at together... an oil painting he did with a Sumi-e brush which is just ridiculous... but he made it work.

I think these 2 paintings were from a show he had a while back at Viridian Gallery.
They are unsold from 2021... well until now.

David Nakabayashi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!