topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Abigail in Central Park

Abigail models sometimes for for figure drawing.
Today, she was hosting a free Bouguereau-style modeling session in Central Park, and she invited me.

It was a 3 hour session and I painted an 8x10.

.




***********
Abigsil knows a lot of art people and a lot of them are atelier people.
There was a person from Boldbrush.

All of them are really good artists, very technically proficient, professionals.

David Kassan even showed up…!!! But he didn’t paint.

I didn’t know anyone else there, though several knew each other and were friends, I guess from the professional atelier scene. It would be easy to feel intimidated in that crowd but…….. I’m glad to say I didn’t. I can hold my own.  Most of them treated the session like studio work, which I thought was interesting.

I would love to have the beautiful atelier-drawing skillset but I DO have the plein air skillset and in some ways that is more difficult.

The other thing I realized is that I’m really, really glad I’m not a 20-something anymore.
Several of the people there are a lot younger than me and…. Well, they are super-technically proficient but I don’t think any of them has had to fight to keep their art.  Hipsters, money, Bushwick, Ridgewood, a few years in NYC……. 

I’m proud of myself for being where I am in my journey and holding up artistically.  
It’s not all about how many instagram followers you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!