After Daya's stunning performance at the Manhattan Youth Ballet shows, Earl Mosley personally invited her to attend his summer intensive.
I think I mentioned it previously.
Anyhow, since Daya did not audition or apply or....anything, one of her teachers was my contact point for helping me know what to do. The show was June 6th. This intensive started June 20th, yesterday.
So right after the show I texted her teacher to inquire what should I do.
And I didn't hear back.
For a week.
So I texted again.
I got a reply only this past Wednesday for a program that started on Sunday.
She said go on the website and fill everything out, and she will take care of the rest.
So we did.
And never heard back.
I have to admit I was pretty upset.
Because it was really special for Daya to have received a personal invitation.
She was the happiest I have seen her for a long time.
She is never happy around me these days.
(I'm pretty sure she's ok around other people but not with me.)
And the teacher who was handling it is someone Daya particularly loves.
So it hurt a bit to receive an offer like that and then not get a response.
I told Daya I felt upset about it and it wasn't a good way for her to be treated.
I also told her it the compliment still was quite valid.
Daya didn't acknowledge her upset, which concerns me.
She just said it's fine, it is what it is.
But it had to be upsetting to her........
She holds a lot in, I think.
I felt concerned by her lack of reaction.
Today we went for more pointe shoes and tights and other pointe-shoe related stuff.
And while we were on the train over to OnStage, I checked my email and there was a long note from the Earl Mosley people saying they know it's super short notice but she can come in today!
So she's in!!!
Classes are in the evenings.
I don't know what the delay was but today is the first real day of classes since yesterday was just level placement. And they already placed her.
Well, it didn't give us any time at all and she was very late and probably missed ballet, which they knew about but I'm just so happy it did come through!!
So now she's dancing 6 evenings a week for the next 2 weeks, with performances for the next 2 Saturdays.
There are forms I need to return and she needs a covid test tomorrow morning since she is only half-vaccinated. And I can't get the medical form until Sunday. But they are still letting her go and I'm really happy it all worked out.


I am so happy for her...and you.
ReplyDelete