topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, December 11, 2020

Central Park Bikers

Today I went out to paint, it was so lovely outside.
I was going to go to The Ramble but...when entering the park at w72nd St... I looked to my right and saw the bike lane scene and that was it.

I do not think I met my own wishes/expectations, but I am ok with that because this was a VERY difficult and complex scene.  Often I see more than I am able to paint.  I can see it, but I can't quite get the translation to paint... YET.

The subtle colors and atmospheric perspective were really difficult in this one. 
I might paint this same spot again in 5 years.

When it comes to plein air, I am always really gentle on myself because it is an acknowledgement of how difficult this is to do. Honestly, 95% of the reason I do plein air in the first place is because it is stupid-difficult. Which forces me to grow.

Seriously, you have to be crazy to do it, and even crazier to do it smack in the middle of NYC.

I have never painted people riding on bicycles before.
Now I have and I will do even better next time.

Also, I like going home on the subway in my paint-coat.
I have an old fall coat and now I paint in it, and it has paint all over it.

I like being all paint-y.



8x10 oil on (oil primed) linen panel
2 hours 15 mins


1 comment:

  1. A fun painting. I don't know how you choose what to paint in and what to leave out. Our eyes are trained to see everything. Fun outing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!