I'm in one of those blocks of time where days just pass one after the other.
Normal days, lots of them.
These are the periods of time that pass by and when they are gone you wonder where they went.
The fall schedule has reserved more of my evening time than I prefer but there's nothing really to be done about it.
Mondays right after work I have an appointment that was on Wednesdays last year.
Tuesdays are kind of free except I have to pick Daya up at 9pm.
Wednesdays I have yoga and then I have to go wait at dance until 8:45 for ballet to end.
It isn't worth going home after yoga because I would just have to leave again
Thursdays I have to get Daya from dance and she has an appointment right after that was earlier last year on a non-dance day.
Fridays Daya has dance but can come home on her own because she gets out early.
Saturdays Daya is in dance all day- literally- but she can travel on her own. Rob has class all day.
Sunday is the only day was both don't have something always scheduled.
Daya is still taking a lot of dance (she just dropped Tap) but oddly she isn't at the studio every day right after school like she was last year. I think it is a good balance for her because she can go home and decompress, get her homework done.
*******
Seventh grade is The Year- the only year- that high schools look at for admissions, so it is a very important year academically. One year from now we will be starting applications and auditions. It is a big deal, on level with college applications.
In NYC, students can go to any high school in the city (provided they can get in).
We do have neighborhood zoned high schools which have to take the kids in the zone but they all still have to apply. A lot of those zoned high schools are terrible crowd-control schools and some are pretty good, like our zoned high school...which is a good school because we live in a good neighborhood. Most zoned schools are awful.
But the specialized high schools- admission to those is extremely competitive.
That includes the academically specialized schools and the performing arts schools.
Daya, of course, will go to a specialized school.
We will apply everywhere.
Her first choice is La Guardia, of course. The top performing arts high school, the one from Fame.
She may go there, she may not- but wherever she ends up will be a good situation. She is more concerned about it than I am. Even if she goes to Frank Sinatra she will be in an excellent situation. (They have an amazing space) There are some others too, just not as famous. I have no doubt between her straight A honors grades, top test scores, and her amazing dance she will get in somewhere good.
We will also apply to some of the academic-specialty schools, as Daya LOVES math and she could go to high school for that, too. Last year she pulled off a 100 average in honors math for the entire year.
Since she started kindergarten and I knew there was high school admissions, I wanted Daya to go to a performing arts high school or a specialized school. Because the environment is better, and because in NYC it matters where you go to high school. It matters a lot.
So this year her job is to maintain her academics because the students she is competing with also have top test scores and straight A honors. And her dance, because she's going up against other students who are just as good as she is.
My job is to get familiar with the process before we have to go through it, and research the schools to which we will apply. This year will go by quickly.
I remember those days of being busy busy. Good for all of you. Keep on...
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Jessica, your life sounds super busy... I am sure Daya will do well. School is different here than there... university looks more at high school than junior high.
ReplyDeleteI have missed keeping up with you, my life has been so wrapped up in the pain I have been dealing with, I realized it was time for me to get back into writing again and start looking outside my world again... Have a great week xox
WOW! Daya is so talented in math and dance! She should get in without a problem! I will be pulling for her first choice!!!
ReplyDelete