topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, October 08, 2025

TMI about my IUD

I have had a Paragard IUD for 11 1/2 years.
They are good for 10-12 years, then are considered expired.

I have been so scared about getting mine switched out because the strings went all the way the hell up and they couldn't just pull it out. (It happens and can cause complications with removal.)

But I can't have an expired IUD in my body and also I really do need my vault to be locked forever.
This is the closest I can get to that short of surgery or a medical problem involving removal of my lady bits, which I do not want.

The Universe has been on my side with this... IUD insertion has to be done on your cycle, preferably the beginning. I was due tomorrow, but my cycle showed up yesterday afternoon which is literally perfect timing for my appointment today.

I was SO SCARED of this appointment.

I was scared of complications and pain from having to find the strings.
Last time the insertion hurt like hell... really bad actually, but only for a few seconds.

The Dr did dig around a bit but found the strings pretty quickly and was able to remove the full IUD.  It didn't break or anything, just came right out. PHEW! And she didn't have to use a camera after all!

Also it hurt less than I expected.
It did, a little, especially the speculum and clamps, and then the insertion but it was really truly not that bad. It was significantly better than last time.

I did take six Advil before the appointment, and it's freaky knowing what's going on but honestly the fear about it was way worse.

Best part, I was allowed to take my old IUD home, and she'll live in a cup on my drawing table.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!