topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, October 18, 2025

Paddling & Art in Gowanus

This morning I went out on the water, it was such a beautiful morning with good company.
Kayak season ends this month; I'm dreading it.


After paddling I went to Brooklyn to meet up with Janae.
We went to the Gowanus Open Studios, where many different local.... "artists".... have their work on display.

It was...... aside from a few outliers, underwhelming.
Janae thought so too, for the same reasons I did.

There was very little technical ability in what we saw, and it was also lacking in aesthetics.
It was not beautiful, it was not skilled. Actually, to be blunt, it was garbage for the most part.

But it was still a nice time with Janae.

Here are some pictures of a few things I liked.




These are not skillful paintings but they are charming together in their own way.


The artist who id these small weird fluorescent paintings is an old-school illustrator, and I did like his work. He understands composition.


I loved these little creatures.
Again, from an old-school artist who knows what he's doing.



Tree topper....


Very Brooklyn....



These ceramics were nice.


I geeked out about paint with this painter in his studio.






This is the Gowanus Canal, which is one of the most polluted waterways in the country.
There is new construction right next to it and they are actually calling it "waterfront property".... 

I can't even.

No local would fall for that crap.


Yes please.


Just don't....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!