topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, October 29, 2025

48 & The Shush Lady Again

Today I am 48.
It's mostly just another quiet Wednesday, except I did take the day off to go paint.
I also thought about going on the water but the weather is just not nice, we are getting a storm tomorrow.

So I went over to Hoboken on the Path train and then to the Shush Lady. (Water's Soul sculpture in NJ)
I have been meaning to repaint her after last year's painting, which took way too long and was way over-thought.  I made the mistake of bringing a studio mindset to plein air... well, not today!

8x10 oil, about an hour and a half which was the time I wanted to spend on her to not get too uptight.



Today was a challenge even with overcast skies.
The Shush Lady is difficult to paint with the changing light... 
She really is all about VALUES.

When I started, she was lighter than the sky:


And by the time I was done, she was darker than the sky.


It's basically impossible.



Dru sent me the best card ever- it's Pebbles in my amazing orange Disco!
And a great book on Medieval cats!

painting by Drusilla Kehl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!