topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, November 15, 2024

Mixing It Up in The Ramble

Today I went to paint my favorite tree in The Ramble.
There was a guy and his dog doing...??????? there, he was in the spot I wanted.

I complained to Mark and Janae via text, and gave it a few minutes in case he was willing to leave.

HE LEFT!!!

I quickly claimed my spot.

So..... honestly, my Tree has had better-looking days but she is my favorite for better or for worse (it is for worse currently...)

I did bring solvent but also committed to practicing this new workflow with just linseed oil so I didn't use it.

It went a little better this time because I cleaned my brushes with the oil... I don't know how Patrick does this with no rag; maybe he just has more brushes.

Actually using the straight oil, especially in the top layers, is better than solvent.
I'm going to practice more, because I want to bring less crap with me, not more......

I will work in Patrick's way for a little while, then balance it and adjust and incorporate in the way that works best for me.

8x10 oil, about 2 hours
I had some struggles and also there are things about this painting I am quite pleased with.
And as always I learned a lot.
This is my 46th plein air for 2024; That's a good number with more to come.... cumulative practice makes a difference.
As long as I am moving forward and learning......
And I will not think about the people half my age who are better than me.
(Well, I'll try....)



Central Park is beautiful right now.


The Cat




I had a couple errands around Union Square, and I was going to take the bus downtown but it was so crowded... So I walked down 5th ave from 79th to 60th and saw this wonderful tree.....

This is why you should walk instead of taking the bus.
Trees like this. (around 72nd st)


1 comment:

  1. I have been taking pictures of various stumps of trees. Your plein air work is always an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!