One of my boathouse friends is starting a food truck business, and she needed help getting things set up.
It's on... Staten Island.
Ugh.
My friend's indoor commercial space is HUGE, as in ENORMOUS.
It needs a lot of work though.
There's got to be a story here... I guess they broke up before finishing the wall???
I didn't actually know what the work involved would be until we were all there.... it was helping clear out an empty lot next to the liquor store.
I did NOT like that lot and we were provided with work gloves but I didn't think they were sturdy enough for that lot. I guess I have a lower tolerance for exposing myself to injury and biohazards in Staten Island vacant lots, because no one else seemed to mind much.
You just don't know what's in there, and it's also right by a park where homeless people live.
The city cleans the lot every 5 years or so but they haven't since before Covid.
....
Broken glass
Scrap metal
Weird garbage...
Who knows what else....
...We only found three needles which was less than I was expecting......
I was comfortable being the bag-holder so that's what I did and it was extremely useful after all.
And... we cleared that lot!!
I think we were all shocked at the progress, no one really expected it.
*******
It takes me 2 hours to get to Staten Island, especially on a Sunday with the Sunday train wonkiness.
The ferry runs every half hour and is a 25 minute ride from Lower Manhattan.
The ferry runs every half hour and is a 25 minute ride from Lower Manhattan.
A lot of people stayed after the cleanup, but I left bc... 2 hour trip home.
I caught the 5pm ferry by two minutes!!
An entire flock of seagulls flew with the ferry for the entire ride!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!