I did go to Washington Square Park today, and Andrew the Pianist was there.
My pack wasn't actually that bad to carry- either I got stronger (unlikely) or I somehow packed less stuff (also unlikely, I only take what I need) but it was not a big deal which I am glad of.
My Yellowstone Box is an absolute joy to paint on.
My large tripod is also an absolute joy.
I started painting at around 11am and ended today's session at 3pm.
The park got suuuuper-crowded, Andrew left at 2:30, and I was just done for the day.
The park got suuuuper-crowded, Andrew left at 2:30, and I was just done for the day.
I sliced my hand open with my palette knife and I also got a stupid sunburn on part of my right forearm...time to add sunscreen to my gear.
Here is the park just before 11am, when it isn't so crowded yet:
Day 1...
I know this painting has a ton of errors and is very rough.
I know this painting has a ton of errors and is very rough.
It is 11x14 oil.
**********
Notes from today:
Since Andrew is REALLY worth listening to, I did not wear earphones.
I met another Pratt grad from Illustration but I didn't want to tell him how old I am when he asked!
Many, many people cane over to give compliments and say hi.
I met a lovely lady who went to Cooper Union back in the day.
An older man asked if he could watch, I said yes, people sometimes ask that and it's not a big deal but he was literally over my shoulder and it just felt really intense... he said "You are too young to have such a shaky arm."
My arm does shake sometimes, I usually need to stabilize. It's not as bad in-studio.
My arm does shake sometimes, I usually need to stabilize. It's not as bad in-studio.
But mahl sticks are a thing, for a reason!
I guess that's normal, I looked it up, but now I wonder if something is wrong with me!
I guess that's normal, I looked it up, but now I wonder if something is wrong with me!
But I also did feel really nervy with him watching so close and intently...I told him so and he was very respectful and left.
Usually people don't get up so close!
Usually people don't get up so close!
It is unnerving to be scrutinized so closely, you can feel specifically watched, it's palpable.
I struggled SO MUCH with that stupid red NYU building.
Maybe it was because I added a little galkyd gel to the paint.... I don't use mediums normally when I paint plein air, I always regret it when I do.... but honestly buildings give me a lot of grief and.... honestly, my buildings kind of suck.
**********
There is a local painter I admire HUGELY, his name is Thor Wickstrom, he does these insane plein air paintings with crazy buildings and writing and....he's a wizard. And all I could think was Thor would just knock this out like it was nothing.
So it occurred to me to see if maybe he would be willing to let me go out and paint with him one day.
I am of course willing to pay for his wisdom and time.... AND HE SAID YES AND HE WON'T EVEN CHARGE ME!
I'm totally willing to pay though...but wow!
I am of course willing to pay for his wisdom and time.... AND HE SAID YES AND HE WON'T EVEN CHARGE ME!
I'm totally willing to pay though...but wow!
One day I will pay forward this generosity of teaching!



Your painting is helping you grow. I love seeing what is going on during this process.
ReplyDelete