topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Upgrade

Daya's phone fell this morning and the screen shattered.

I'm not upset.
She is very responsible in general.
I trust her in ways most parents don't trust their teens.

Truth be told, it helped me make a decision.

The last time I upgraded my phone was Daya's 5th grade graduation.
So almost 5 years ago.
We both had iPhone 6s Plus.

Daya actually kept hers through all of middle school and around the start of high school- due to it needing a battery replacement which was impossible due to water damage, I leased an iPhone 7s Plus, which at the time was the cheapest option I could get while still keeping her on an iphone.

It broke today.




It's ok.

I'm using the third iteration of a 6s Plus, because both times I brought it to the Apple store for battery replacement, they couldn't do it so they just replaced it.
I like my phone and it works just fine mostly.

Also, I own the device outright and it is fully paid for so that's something off my monthly bill, which I like a whole lot.  I think cellphones are a colossal waste of money. We need to have them, but the devices themselves can be a huge money pit.

My battery is dying again, the phone can't hold a charge and this is normal wear.
Even before Daya's phone shattered I was contemplating what to do.

It's true that I could have held out for a couple more months, but not probably not much longer than that.

But Daya absolutely cannot go around with a shattered phone, it is a safety hazard.

So we upgraded.

And I am now financing 2 iPhone 11s.
I will have mine until it makes better sense to upgrade again, hopefully at least another 5 years.
The phone is a lot better and I like it very much.
Especially the camera!! It's really nice!

I do have to pay for 2 of them, which is the part I'm not as happy with.
This will probably be the last phone I buy for Daya, and it should see her into college.

1 comment:

  1. As you say phones are a necessary evil money pit. I have an android. I carry those things until they break too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!