I haven't painted a still life for a while. The oils forum project is a blue and painted from life theme,
so I thought I'd find some blue things and paint them.
This was done alla prima. The thee blues I used were pthalo, ultramarine, and prussian.
The darkest blues in the center are a mix of ultramarine and prussian.
I also used asphaltum.
I did come across some limitations with alla prima painting as far as the glass and very high chroma glowing color highlights...which are not in the painting... there are certain effects that have to be glazed for glass I think, but I don't want to spend more time on this painting and it was never intended to be a layered painting.
Or maybe my alla prima skills just aren't up to it.
Thinking back, since the panel wasn't toned I guess I could have done it last by removing paint down to the support and glazing... but I think some effects are better in layered paintings if you want to go super-realistic. The problem was transparency plus very high chroma and that bottle is already mostly paint straight from the tube.
8x10 oil

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!