Yesterday I went to a meetup for sketching in Central Park. It was a nice change since I'm always out alone.
The trains were so messed up and I got there about a half hour late...the way it was organized, we sketched for about an hour then stopped to look at all the work. There was no critique.
I liked this very much, it was nice to see all the work...there are some good artists there!
Since I got there late I only had about a half hour for my first sketch.
I worked in pastel, 9x12 on black Strathmore Artagain paper.
My figure drawing sessions must have been influencing me, because I NEVER do outdoor paintings this fast! I average about an hour with an 8x10, sometimes longer. And these were 9x12.
There were pigeons all over this statue, which I thought was fun.
In this first painting I was trying to go fast without it looking messy. It does look a little messy tho...
This is my second piece...about 40 mins... MUCH faster than how I normally work.
I think this speed painting was good for me. It is definitely an influence from the figure drawing sessions. My mindset was different than when I go out alone. I had a work fast around a lot of people mentality, because that's exactly what I signed up for. When I go out alone I am slower and it is different than being in a group.
Smooth paper might have also made a difference-- I have always taken sanded paper with me, and that holds more layers. Maybe I am more careful with it... I don't know. I'm interested to see how I paint (in pastel) the next time I go plein airing by myself. Will I slow down as I normally do, or speed paint again? Something in between?


This sounds like you had a good time. It is always nice to meet people with the same interests. I like your sketches. It will be interesting to see if you are slower by yourself or if your figure sketching has opened up your inner race car.
ReplyDeleteThese are great! Faster and looser seems to complement your style well. :)
ReplyDelete