topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Rigger Mortis

I forced myself to go out painting today.
Which was a good thing, it is better to get out.  And if I'm going to force myself to go out, why not paint?

****
I'm ANGRY today. It hit me this morning.
I know it is a normal part of processing but it still really stinks.

****
Painting.

I went to Central Park.

Today I took a Colour Shaper with me to remove paint.  Some people use Q-tips, I never liked them because I kill the Q-tip too quickly and you can really only use it once anyhow. Too much garbage. But a Colour Shaper....miracle thing.  Why didn't I start bringing one out with me years ago.  I have with pastels, but never oil. This is another instance in which I am just really, really slow.

So I painted an 8x10 and it was cold but not severely cold.
It is a boring painting color-wise...I almost did the whole scene from the ground but then I thought the branches were really cool so I just did that.

My rigger got a workout and I'm afraid my painting is suffering from a bit of "rigger mortis".  Oh well.

Plein air is really, really, REALLY difficult and I go out and do it, I'm out there working, so I don't get down on myself about this stuff, not too much anyhow. I learn with every painting. So many people who want to do it don't because they are too afraid. It's true that it is overwhelming, hard, stressful, and scary but that's what makes it special.

The light on the trees was really wonderful.












Corner of 5th and 65th. 
I cut off the last word...
I'm glad we have a building that says this.


This is the colour shaper I used today-  has a good edge and good points, which are important.
Pictured with Stabby, my proportional divider.  Stabby is so sharp it is a bit dangerous, I always have to be careful.  Getting stabbed is NOT fun. Trust me.




2 comments:

  1. I think you are brave to be out in this cold weather painting. When it is cold I don't want to be out doing much of anything. I hope you worked out your anger. I like the way you captured the light on the trees. The sky looks nice, clear, blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have every right to feel anger.
    Actually really like the painting.
    Never heard of a color shaper so now I know. That is good.
    I agree getting stabbed is not good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!