We took the bus back and got off a few blocks from home. We were walking through the neighborhood, quiet residential streets- no one else out.
Then, out of nowhere an Asian lady of unknown origin called to me from across the street.
Her: "Do you want some sviata?"
Me: "What?"
She crossed the street and came over to us.
Her: "You want sviata? You buy sviata? I have sviata."
Me: "What? No. I don't know what that is."
But I sure was curious.
Her: "Sviata."
Me: "I don't know what that is."
She opens her bag. I'm thinking... Oh, great she's selling weed. In front of my kid.
Her: "Sviata. For you, five dollars." She pointed to Daya. "Sviata for her."
She pulled out what might have been a hat, a scarf, or a sweater. We couldn't tell.
Now, I'm really, really good with foreign accents, and figuring out what people are saying. I can usually even figure out what they are saying over the subway loudspeaker on the old trains. For real.
But "sviata"- nope. No clue.
I said no thanks and walked away.
Daya and I just could not get over how incredibly weird that was. And then I had to explain to her why I was surprised the woman wanted to sell what we think meant "sweater", but I would not have been surprised if she was trying to sell weed.
Daya LOVES her dentist. For real.
She wears my sunglasses because she is "allergic to light".
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!