Basically, they stopped "dressing like old people" and started wearing clothing that was more fashionable and "younger". The result was that it changed how they felt about themselves- in a very positive way. They felt younger, more alive. Their moods improved. Their health improved. I wish I had a link to the study but I don't.
This whole idea is one of the reasons I started going ELECTRIC. What the heck does that mean, you ask?
In my case, mostly makeup. And clothing too, but primarily my eye makeup. I have gone through periods of wearing it or not wearing it, but I always kept it pretty basic and simple. Taupe, silver, or copper eyeshadow, mascara. Maybe lipstick. The end.
And then a few years ago I got really into Urban Decay. I started wearing colors. Learned how to do it properly. I felt really weird and uncomfortable at first, and then I settled into it and started having a ton of fun. It only takes a few minutes. And people were saying how much they like it. They still do.
ELECTRIC
So these days I will wear any color. Even to work. It is fun to do different looks and coordinate. I like my brushes and my pigments. Four years ago, I wouldn't have ever considered it. It is a small thing but it was a successful lesson in stepping out of my comfort zone and opening my mind. I feel more dynamic, daring, and adventurous. And for the record I have no problem going out with no makeup- I do it often.
Doing stuff like this- or makeovers- will change the energy currents that are spinning in your energy field.
This same principle applies to your body posture and your mood. If you carry yourself in a slumped position, it reflects your mood. There are postures you can take, putting your body language in a posture of confidence and power that will change your mood. So if you are feeling glum and need a simple way to elevate your mood, check out your posture. Straighten up. (Purple eye shadow might help too.)
It's all about comfort zones and getting out of them- expanding as a person. It doesn't have to be big and dramatic. The small silent things are most often the most powerful.
Very good & true observations. :)
ReplyDeleteHi stapeliad!
ReplyDeleteI dropped in here from WC expecting to look at artwork and instead found your "Electric" article. Very interesting. I don't have a link to your study, but did read info about a similar one not long ago: www.nhs.uk/news/2014/12December/Pages/Feeling-young-at-heart-may-increase-lifespan.aspx
As I'm aging, I'm now laughing off comments about how I dress "too young" (although I've yet to try your flamboyent approach!). Thanks for the post!
Hi Dru!!
ReplyDeleteHi Annie, Yes I do need to throw some paint at my blog. Have been really terrible about that lately.
Thanks for stopping by! :)
I must admit that I do tend to dress conservatively, but after reading this, I think I will start to introduce some bright colours into my life!
ReplyDelete