I have been hibernating.
All of January and so far all of February.
This hibernation period will likely last at least through the end of this month, maybe a little bit into March.
It is deep winter right now.
Time to settle, rest, shift, recalibrate, regenerate.
I am shifting and regenerating.
Overall, I feel amazing inside and out, and I am thoroughly enjoying this short hibernation phase.
It's a very special time and I will look back at it fondly with appreciation.
It makes sense to come into hibernation after last year.
Last year was very intense, and a rest and recalibration is good.
I have been doing very deep inner work, every day.
I feel like I am exactly where I need to be, doing exactly what I need to be doing, preparing internally to go wherever I am supposed to go.
I feel so good.
And that's very intentional, it's not an unknown random thing.
I need to do this inner work, and while I am doing all the things I need to do like work, the hotline, maintaining my apartment, and also keeping in touch with friends, I feel like I'm in a nice safe bubble of time and space that is exactly what I need to germinate new seeds.
It's a little weird because I am mostly home alone all the time, sometimes for days without going out, yet I don't feel isolated or lonely. This time is so calm and peaceful and I'm finding things deep in my psyche that are saying it's time to shift to new growth.
This deep winter hibernation is wonderful.
It's like a long ongoing meditation.
And when it ends, whenever that is, I will be ready for it to end.
***********
Daya and I are fine, right back to how things are supposed to be.
If she ever writes another stupid no contact note, I'm going to have trouble taking it seriously.
We are not even a month into the Juilliard semester and she has needed stuff from home, food, and yesterday her phone screen broke so I'm helping her with that too.
Being a parent is REALLY WEIRD, even when your kid is an adult.
***********
As of today, I haven't painted for almost 2 weeks.
That's a long time for me.
I think the painting part of me also needs to hibernate and rest.
Between weather and schedule, plein air painting has not been possible yet this year.
That's why going to class is good, it keeps me painting even if I'm not painting at home or outdoors.
I do have a commission that's been hanging over me but it's not coming out right.
Dru helped, said it's not that bad, and I haven't touched it since.
It should be an easy painting but I also can't really paint right now.
Even in class the painting I'm working on is currently a bit of a slog... but it doesn't matter.
There is no time limit on it, no deadline.
I would like to get that commission done and shipped, but I also want it to be good, and I can't paint right now so it has to wait.
Last year I did 59 plein air paintings... plus whatever studio work.
FIFTY NINE!
That's a LOT.
My internal painting systems have shut down for internal maintenance.
This does happen, it's ok.
The weather is now paintable weather, and I'm planning to get out tomorrow and start 2026 plein airing.
This will hopefully get my painting engines starting up again.
And if they don't, that's also ok because I am still hibernating after all.
The last plein air I did was Dec 27.
So this is a month and a half plein air break- it might be enough.
I'll find out tomorrow if I have my flow back or not.
**********
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!