topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, January 25, 2025

Patchy Snow

I'm not doing too great, yesterday was very hard... some stuff with Daya and I got an update on my mother who will probably die this year... but no one knows for sure. Although it wouldn't be surprising at all.  I'll have to deal with that mess and there is a lot of it, in all the forms a mess can be.

Tonight was our annual boathouse party, and I also needed to go out and paint.
I went to Roosevelt Island to find what I could find.

I found my composition a little unexpectedly and decided it was cool and just go with it.
The buildings in the back were intentionally left out... they would have worked compositionally but would have changed the mood.

Overall I am very happy with this painting.

8x10 oil



The interesting thing about the scene was the sky was the lightest value- even lighter than the highlights in the snow.
So that's what I focused on. I liked the patchy clouds along with the patchy snow.







Graeme is retiring from helping run the boathouse and there were Graeme cupcakes at the party.


It was great to see everyone and a nice time.
I left a little early because I was feeling a little overloaded and out of sorts, and also I didn't want to get home too late.

But it's very good I went out today and especially went painting.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that you will have a mess to contend with when your Mom dies
    I am glad you got out with friends.
    Your painting is nice. It draws me into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!