I write this post 13 hours before I move my own child into a posh too-expensive college dorm.
HOWEVER I am personally paying for $0 of the dorm expense.
(Due to an extremely generous housing grant plus my kid saving money from working working working.)
******
Look at these pictures.
They are from Boston College, my friend's kid is moved into this dorm suite.
THIS IS AN UNDERGRAD COLLEGE DORM.
***************
Soapbox 1: THIS IS WHYYYYY THE DORMS ARE SOOOO STUPID EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
(it was NOT like this last century 1995-1999 when I went to a private elite college!!! Which made it more accessible to EVERYONE... I literally have my career because of Pratt (have been specifically told that) and I am the second person in my family to go to college. Daya is the third.....to this day.)
I do not come from money of any kind.
In my college experience with my own child it was the housing costs that made certain vital things inaccessible. LUXURY COSTS MONEY and now people expect luxury as the basic standard.
In my college years housing was not actually a significant expense at all.
And believe me, the standard of living would probably result in lawsuits today.
And no one thought twice about it, you just dealt with it bc IT WAS COLLEGE.
Tuition was the problem.
And that was only 25 years ago.
It's not that long in the past.
Soapbox 2: Young adults absolutely NEED and REQUIRE a phase of "roughing it" for character and perspective development, ESPECIALLY WEALTHY KIDS but also everyone.
COLLEGE DORMS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SO FANCY I guess unless you are private ivy school elite. Which most people are not.
I have so so SO many problems with this.
I have so so SO many problems with this.
Rant over.
Thanks for reading, if you did.
Feel free to tell me to fuck off or otherwise in the comments.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!