My friend called me earlier this week and invited me to go skiing as a last- minute thing for someone's birthday, and someone else had cancelled.
I have never been skiing and think it's good to try new things and have an adventure, so I said yes.
There is an indoor skiing place in NJ and.... well, the day was an adventure and I have no regrets but I wouldn't go there again. They book in time slots but don't scan people up the lifts, so people just stay all day and it's dangerously overcrowded. And they ran out of equipment.
It's also not good for people who have never skied before. Even the employees said it was bad.
My boots were too big which is definitely not ideal.
All that being said, I was glad for the new experience.
The biggest problem I had was that I can't get up if (when) I fall.
I find this to be really disturbing because while I am not a gym rat and don't consider myself to be athletic, I do work out and I am in reasonably functional physical shape. For YEARS before covid, I regularly attended a fairly advanced yoga class. I kayak, I use my stationary bike, I swim, I just started a jump rope workout program (Crossrope)... so I have reasonable expectations of basic physical activity.
And I discovered that- even though I CAN do sit-ups, I can't do standard crunches. This never even occurred to me, but after talking to a friend about it, I most likely lost the ability to do them after my c section. Since I can do planks and sit-ups, and have the yoga history, it never even occurred to me.
But I can't do them.
This tells me I need to start really working on my core.
It's a horrible feeling to be essentially helpless in a physically compromised way.
So, at least for now, skiing is out for me.
We went to a coffee shop afterwards.... these odd pastries at the bottom of the case look interesting.
I did not get one but was curious what they are.
They are Italian- Roman in origin actually, and are called maritozzi.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!