I wanted to take Simon's painting class this month at Art Students League, but I'm going to see Cathy next week so I don't want to pay for 4 classes and only take 3.
I think I'll draw with Drawing NY, which Simon runs, this month instead.
He's a really good teacher.
Friday nights are instructed sessions at the National Arts Club which in itself is just a great place to be in. I always get a lot out of instructed sessions. It's always good to get different perspective and change things up.
It's good balance too, because a lot of what I have been doing is so fast, and it's good to just slow down. And work larger. Drawing is the root of everything so you never can have too much.
I think I'll draw with Drawing NY, which Simon runs, this month instead.
He's a really good teacher.
Friday nights are instructed sessions at the National Arts Club which in itself is just a great place to be in. I always get a lot out of instructed sessions. It's always good to get different perspective and change things up.
It's good balance too, because a lot of what I have been doing is so fast, and it's good to just slow down. And work larger. Drawing is the root of everything so you never can have too much.
Ron was our model.
Simon talked about developing the drawing- 1/3 planning, 1/3 drawing, 1/3 accenting.
How much to measure and not measure....
I worked in graphite which I haven't done for a long time, so that was nice too.
The session was 2 1/2 hours but Simon did a demo for the first 20 minute pose. So this drawing was about 2 hours. There is no possible way I could finish in that time but that's fine, that isn't really the point.
It's also really nice to see everyone's work at the end.
Being around other artists is very important.
I'm going to another session on Monday, but I don't think it is instructed and that's ok too.
I just want the practice.
16x20 (i think)
*****
I did use my graphite putty for some of the background (Simon hates that stuff lol) and it dries out quickly so I needed water.
The only water I had on-hand was seltzer so I used that to wet my putty and also to clean up.
At the end of the session I had a nice cup of Graphite Seltzer, a combination that might never have existed before!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!