I got home a bit before noon.
My dr said the surgery went perfectly. He was very pleased.
I was awake and remember the whole entire thing.
After prep I went in the laser room. The incisions are done here, like a cookie cutter (said the nurse). They said it would take about 5 minutes.
I think maybe it took longer, like 5 years.
The laser part was really really REALLY freaky scary. I think they should sedate people during it but they don't. It doesnt hurt. You get drops and drops and drops and more drops and it does not hurt when the laser does its laser thing
I was for reals legit SCARED. They put a thing in your eye to keep it open and the laser machine comes down and suctions over your eye HARD.And they hold your head still.
There are a lot of greyish round shapes and then funny black shapes when the laser starts the incisions. I probably wouldnt have minded it if I was sedated.
Then after that hard scary part was over I went into the OR and they asked me for the millionth time to verify I understood what they were going to do.
Then the very nice excellent sedation started and they put me under briefly so I was unaware of the injection into the back of my eye. Dr had to do this to paralyze the muscle so the eye could stay still. Then i was more awake and they told me the injection was finished which made me very happy.
For the rest of the surgery I was very aware of everything. All I saw were moving gray and white shapes. The sedation was not enough to make me sleep but I was in a very relaxed state and to be honest it was all very lovely and pleasant and enjoyable. I would totally do it again. As long as I had something for the Femtosecond Laser.... That was really really not nice.
I have drops to take for weeks and an eye shield.
As of right now I cannot use my left eye at all. I'm still dilated and paralyzed, and I have FREAKY CRAZY double vision. It's really bad. So I'm using a screen magnifier and my right eye to make this post.
I cant do a whole lot right now. Dr said the double vision is temporary and normal because of the injection.
Thank goodness because it does render me solidly non-functional. My eyes feel weird, like they are off-kilter. The angles in my left eye are all skewed, it's freaky. There are 2 of everything at opposite slanted angles.
****
Daya started her intensive at Steps today. I'm glad she is occupied.
I do need help this week and hope she'll be lovely about doing the dishes.
I can't bend over, I can't lift, I can't get water in my eye tonight, and I have not been this blind since my right eye ran solo when OI had my retina surgery.
My phone is on the largest font possible which sort-of helps and I might make Siri do some read-aloud work too.
I got this cool high-fashion jewelry at the hospital:

What ever you do make sure you do the drops as prescribed.
ReplyDeleteThere you go...I am glad you are finished with that procedure. I wouldn't want to be awake during the whole process either. I am glad you got some relaxing meds. Geez, Seems like they would have done that at the beginning. Get well quick!
P.S. Don't fall down!
ReplyDelete